Romania, Bucharest Mission: Sept. 2010 - Sept. 2012

Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Still Raining in May . . . . But I'm Doing Great!

Dear Loved Ones,

   Hey, it's Elder Lee here in Bucharest on another p-day with the district. We just got done eating breakfast and studying at the Wolsey's. They made us eggs, potatoes, bacon, and toast, with home-made strawberry jam. Tasty. We talked about different facets of the gospel in our little study session after. We read from 2 Nephi, the New Testament, and D&C. We talked about pressing forward in enduring to the end,  keeping the sabbath day holy, the good Samaritan, and using our agency wisely. The past week has gone well. It's still raining. I don't know when it will stop! Elder Durand and I have virtually no investigators, and so with the added rainfall, missionary work is a little slow right now. We have been trying to go to parks, and we went to one even though it was a little rainy. We did talk to a couple of people. Elder Durand tried a new idea to contact the person we spoke to. He asked her if she likes to read, then said, "If I gave you this book which contains a thousand years of history, talks about Christ's appearance in the ancient American continent, and contains the fullness of His Gospel, would you read it?" The lady was not so interested (plus it was raining) so we just gave her a pass-along card and kept on going. Besides trying to contact, we had other meetings and things that happened in the week. We had a good district meeting and talked about hope. We always have a correlation meeting on Friday night and talk about all our investigators. We had a great Sunday at church yesterday, and we usually eat at Sora Gorzo's afterwards.

   We were able to meet Nicu, a less-active member, the other day. Elder Jones and I actually found him last summer in Cismigiu Park. We thought he wasn't a member the whole rest of the time I was here in Buc last year. When I left, I got a letter from Elder Jones saying that Nicu actually got baptized 10 or 11 years ago, and that Elder Jones and his companion were talking with him often and re-activating him. So, we met with him just a few days ago because he hasn't been to church since around general conference time. He is a funny guy. He works in construction. He is a smart guy, and has a testimony of the Gospel. He has been working lately, including on Sundays sometimes, and he told us he is trying to get off work on Sundays. He told about how he joined the church and how he gave up smoking and drinking. We invited him to keep reading the scriptures (he's reading the Bible now) and to come to church. Unfortunately, he didn't show up yesterday at church. But, We did see Ana come (who is a recent convert that Elder Jones and I found as well!) So, it was good to see her there. We also made a visit to President Bulgarasu's on Thursday! He came up to me at church last Sunday and said, "Lee! When are you gonna visit us? The sisters are coming over Thursday at 6, you guys should come too!". So, we did. We went with Sora Hosking and Sora Sam to visit him and his family (his wife and 4 year-old daughter). They are such a great little family. They fed us some delicious ciorba, and we had a spiritual thought about serving others and gratitude to God (see Mosiah 2:17-19, I think.) It was the first time I had been to their home! He is a great Branch President.

   Elder Durand and I are teaching advanced english. Well, we don't really have a class. Only one person came last time, and it was actually Elder Fonnesbeck's and Elder Knapp's investigator. Her name is Afrodita. She is super nice, and she knows english pretty well. The other two english classes are pretty well-attended. I have not had a well-attended english class for a long time. Church yesterday was great. Pres. Dragoi (from the district presidency) and his wife spoke about the Atonement and the name of the Church--how it is The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. She talked about what the name really means and what it means for us to take upon ourselves the name of Christ. Elder Fonnesbeck gave a short message about the Gift of the Holy Ghost. Sorin Stanciu (the member who is in charge of all the technical stuff) gave me a translating microphone to translate for the Wolseys! So, I tried. I am super bad at it! It's tough to do stream-translating. I get lost super quickly and it's a little frustrating. But, it was good language practice. I hope I didn't ruin the Wolsey's Sacrament meeting by being a bad translator! After church, Sora Gorzo had our district over and made us some really tasty breaded zucchini and cauliflower, bean ciorba, and potatoes and little meat-loaf things (which contain turkey, beef, and lamb meat). It was all pretty good. Last night, Elder Fonnesbeck and Elder Knapp sang in another concert! It was at 7:00 at the Atheneul Roman. They performed three songs--Sweet is the Work, I'll Go Where You Want Me to Go, and Love One Another. It was in a smaller hall, but there was a pretty good turnout. There were also other pieces that other people played (on the cello and piano), but some were kinda funky contemporary pieces that sounded kinda weird. It was super fun to see them sing! I got some pictures of it.

   Anyways, that's all the news here. It's nice to hear that things are going well at home, and in Utah. Mom and dad, hope you have a great time in Utah. I'm excited for you Mom, that you are done with work for awhile! Enjoy your break! I am sorry for Grandma. I hope she's doing well. Isn't the femur a bad place to have your leg broken? I'll try to remember to keep her in my prayers. It sounds like the Lee Family Reunion will be a fun time. Well, it sounds like all the details are planned out for when you guys come up, Mom and Dad. I look forward to it. Don't worry, I'm not trunky. We're just trying to work even with the rain and lack of investigators. I got my package! Thanks a ton. It's got a lot of good things in it. It's my 21st birthday in 3 days from now! I'm getting too old! I still feel like a kid. I think we'll have a fun day. I'll make my cake, maybe bring it to district meeting, maybe go to Ruby Tuesday's; it will be fun. Anyways, I'm all done for now. I hope you have a good week. Pray for the rain to stop here in Bucharest! La revedere.

Love, Elder Lee

No comments:

Post a Comment